Thyroid problems can develop for a number of reasons, but the most common causes of thyroid problems are nutrient deficiencies such as iodine and selenium deficiency, autoimmune disease, genetics, stress and environmental factors. The most common type of thyroid problem is hypothyroidism (under active gland).
Foods to Include:
- Whole and unprocessed plant-based foods including fresh and cooked fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes and beans
- Unrefined oils (coconut, olive, flaxseed, avocado)
- Organic/non GMO animal or plant-based protein
- Selenium-rich foods: Brazil nuts, sunflower and flaxseeds, spinach, mushrooms, organic fresh eggs
- Iodine rich foods: Like sea salt, sea vegetables, cranberries, yogurt, navy beans, strawberries, potatoes, seafood
Foods to Avoid:
- Limit raw cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, radish, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, watercress, unfermented soy products
- Gluten/wheat if you have Celiac or are gluten/wheat intolerant or sensitive
- Sugar and processed foods
- Preservatives and additives
- Artificial ingredients, colours and flavours
Yes, You Can Lose Weight with a Sluggish Thyroid
Join our free juice group on facebook for juice recipes.