Not sure what to do? Try not to beat yourself up—we've all been there.
What you can do is set aside five days to help heal your digestive system.
Here are a few steps you can take to reset your digestion:
1. Start each day by drinking warm water with lemon.Drinking this soothing concoction daily helps stimulate liver function and will kick-start your digestion.
2. Do a few mini fasts.Aim to finish dinner by 7 p.m.; this will give you approximately 12 to 14 hours in between meals, which can function as a miniature fast. Intermittent fasting can give your overworked digestive system a rest and can cleanse the liver, boost immunity, and reduce inflammation.
3. Set aside some time for self-care.Slow down the party momentum and treat yourself to a few nights in. Take baths, read a romantic novel, do restorative yoga, or treat yourself to a presumably much-needed massage.
4. Drink tea.Put down the cocktails and pick up herbal tea. Sipping on teas that contain ginger and dandelion have the added benefit of supporting your digestion while flushing out toxins.
5. Increase your fiber intake.Eating foods that are high in fiber helps keep your digestion regular. Regular bowel movements are an important component of maintaining overall health as they help eliminate the toxins that are built up in the colon.
6. Avoid sugar, alcohol, red meat, processed foods, and bread.These foods are common causes of inflammation. You must reduce sugar in your diet, give it a break for a week, at least. You may be surprised at how flat your tummy will remain, which will make you feel great.
7. Exercise.Exercise helps stimulate digestion and mental clarity. You don’t have to start your new year cardio plan just yet; even light yoga or a brisk walk around the block will help revive your digestive system.
8. Cook at home.There can be a lot of hidden calories in meals prepared by restaurants and catering companies. Eating at home gives you control over ingredients, calories, and portion sizes. Cooking can also be a relaxing and meditative activity that you can enjoy with your loved ones.
9. Meditate.Meditation is a gentle, effective way to cleanse your mind and body. Meditation can also help curb food cravings, put you in touch with how your body is feeling, and ground you in new, healthier habits. Try meditating for 10 to 20 minutes each day.